What Will the Hampden-NSA Mechanicsburg JLUS Provide?
The NSA Mechanicsburg JLUS will provide all stakeholders with:
- A detailed land use assessment for surrounding high growth areas
- A baseline of existing incompatible land uses around the installation
- An assessment of regional growth trends
- A plan to assist surrounding communities with decision-making. Recommendations and strategies to promote compatible land use planning around NSA Mechanicsburg and surrounding communities
What Is Compatibility?
Compatibility, relative to military readiness, can be defined as the balance and / or compromise between community and military needs and interests. The goal of compatibility planning is to promote an environment where both entities can coexist successfully. Study area data on existing conditions obtained from the Management Committee, Technical Committee, and public meetings will be analysed to identify current and future compatibility issues. This analysis will also identify the influence of regulatory measures on land use decisions and consider existing and projected development trends within the JLUS Study Area. A set of 25 compatibility factors will be considered to evaluate the range of issues that influence land use compatibility. While all factors will be initially assessed, some factors may not exist within the NSA Mechanicsburg JLUS area.
What Are the Compatibility Factors?
Compatibility factors address the comprehensive approach undertaken to promote land use compatibility within proximity to NSA Mechanicsburg. The 25 factors are:
What Are JLUS Recommendations?
JLUS recommendations can be categorized into five key areas: communication, coordination, information, policy and regulatory and may involve revisions to the communities’ comprehensive plans and traditional land use and development controls, such as zoning, subdivision regulations, building codes, and so forth. Additional actions may include land exchanges, transfer of development rights, and real estate disclosures.
Have Past JLUS's Been Successful?
Previous JLUS’s have shown a high success rate. The JLUS effort can directly benefit both the jurisdiction and the installation by:
- Protecting the health and safety of residents living or working near military installations
- Preserving long-term land use compatibility between the installation and the surrounding community
- Promoting comprehensive community planning
- Encouraging a cooperative spirit between the local base command and local community officials
- Integrating the local jurisdictions’ comprehensive plans with the installation’s plans